Sunday, April 14, 2013

DIY Baby Bicycle Mobile


There are so many options out there for baby mobiles. It used to be your only choice was through a baby store and something more commercialized… not with the explosion of DIYers on etsy and creative moms everywhere the possibilities have become endless. 

For Isla’s nursery we took an uncommon route. We used a colorful leaf windchime in place of a mobile. We decided to hang it above the window, verse directly over the crib though. 

With the announcement of my sister-in-law’s pregnancy, I had a new reason to get in touch with my DIY skills again. The theme of the shower was bicycles, so to remain within that theme and pull it through to the nursery; I decided to make the mobile bicycle focused. 

Now, one thing I’ve learned from looking into making mobiles for my own daughter and making this one is that it can get expensive! Materials add up and often what you think will be an easy project turns out to be more difficult than your original plants, but I can confidently say that this was an easy DIY mobile project and the end result (in my opinion) is adorable!

Ok, for starters I had to determine what I would use for my base. At first, I was thinking of using a bicycle wheel, which is doable, but based on the size of the ones available to me and the weight, I decided to go with a bike gear instead. Another option would be an embroidery hoop which is also very easy to use, light weight and inexpensive. 

I cleaned the bike gear with steel wool and purchased spray paint from Wal-Mart to give it a fresh coat of paint.


For the charms hanging down (the main attraction for the baby) I wanted to use something light weight and safe. While perusing Jo-Ann's site, I uncovered these wood flourishes, often used for scrap booking, and immediately purchased! They were on clearance too, which really nudged me to purchase.


I used spray paint to make the mobile colorful, vibrant and match the shower colors as well.
I found this red and white stripped twine at Target in the dollar bin and used it to string the bicycles, penny farthing bikes and diaper pins from the gear. I also used it to string the mobile to the ceiling.

In the end, we made a very cute addition to our baby shower decorations and also something that can be used in the nursery. I love the variations of bicycles and the tiny penny farthing bikes!



1 comment:

  1. This is so cute! I am planning on doing a bicycle themed nursery too. Can you tell me where you were able to get the gear from? I've looked high and low and can't seem to just find a gear (without spending a ton of money on eBay).

    ReplyDelete

Daily Boutique Deals