Recently we purchased a changing table from craigslist that was a little less than cute. I posted the before pictures in a previous post.
We decided early on, we did not want to invest a lot of money into the current nursery as the space is small and we also hope to transition another one of our rooms into a bedroom in the future.
We were blessed with the gift of a crib and mattress from my parents, scored a glider off of craigslist in awesome condition and then found this changing table.
I knew I wanted to paint the dresser white to match the rest of the furniture, but I wasn’t sure what I else I was going to do to bring the dresser to life. We decided to use all white furniture in the space so that we didn’t close the room in any more. Using light colors has helped to make the space appear bigger and more airy.
At first, I thought I would use stencils on the two top doors, but I struggled to find any in the craft stores that I was satisfied with and I didn’t want to risk ordering something online that didn’t work. I then debated doing stripes on the two top doors with different widths and colors. I had seen this done as a wall treatment on HGTV by using painters tape and choosing several different shades of one color to provide more depth.
During my recent trip (one of many lately) to Joann’s, I stumbled across a 50% off sale on wall decals. I purchased the last hydrangea decal available for a whopping total of $4! I loved it the moment I saw it and was hoping it would work. Hydrangeas are my favorite flower and they were also the main flower in our wedding. They were even incorporated in our wedding invitations provided by Days Gone Design. You can view more here.
After some trial and error of sticking and re-sticking, I finally got the flowers and accents placed the way I wanted them. They were extremely easy to work with!
I ended up painting the wooden knobs that came with the dresser with a hammered bronze spray paint. The paint added a shine to the knobs and makes them appear to be metal. I also think this last touch really finished the piece. The finished table ended up costing me under $40!
I plan to complete the table with an inexpensive changing pad from Target and Carter's super soft brown dot pad cover. So here it is, the final reveal! Enjoy DIYers!
Before (sorry, the before images were pulled from the craigslist post and arent of great quality)