Friday, May 18, 2012

DIY Fabric Flower Art


I’m thrilled that we finally finished our nursery this week and just in time before Sarah from mcchillinphotography.com comes over to take some snap shots of it! I can’t wait to reveal the finished space. 

Although it’s very small, we utilized every inch of it and it is all the space we really need. I would have loved to have had more space to decorate, but it’s probably a good thing we don’t because I would have spent more money!

We ended up getting everything in the space for under $350 (including the crib, mattress, bedding, glider and ottoman, changing table, black-out curtains, rug, pillows and decorative pieces). 

I either made or repurposed several pieces in the nursery including the changing table, toy box storage crate, Bible verse nursery art and most recently these fabric flower wall pieces. I was inspired by a post on pinterest of course, and decided to take the idea and make it my own. 

I had originally purchased the main background fabric from Joann's to make a memo board, but decided it would work well for this project too. I loved the pop of raspberry pink on the brown and the leaves tied in so nicely with our other pieces. 

I purchased 2, 8x8 artist canvases from Joanns (my new favorite store) and covered the canvas with the fabric using a staple gun (thanks for your help with this Bobby & Alexas).

I also bought 4 yards of cream ruffled quilt binding from Joanns and divided it in half. I shaped the ruffle fabric into a flower and pinned it onto the fabric covered canvas using straight pins until I had it just right. 

Since I was making 2 art pieces, I shaped the flowers at the same time so that they would look as identical as possible. I then used my glue gun to adhere the flower to the canvas. I simply flipped the flowers over, while still pinned, put hot glue on the bottom, flipped them back over and then placed them onto the fabric covered canvas. 

I then made pink rosettes for the center of the flowers. I used a glue gun to create the rosettes and stick them in the center. Below is the finished product. They look so great hanging in the nursery along with our baby girl’s name sign. Can’t wait to show you the finished space soon!

I didn't end up using the button in the center, but you can change it up any way you would like and add your own twist!
Here are the two pieces side by side. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Daily Boutique Deals