Sunday, December 25, 2011

What Christmas means to me…



“For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given;
and the government shall be upon his shoulder,
and his name shall be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.”
Isaiah 9:6


It’s so easy to forget the real meaning of Christmas. As we go about our lives and get shuffled into the hustle and bustle of it all.  From Santa Claus to Frosty, cable is airing the 25 days of Christmas, but none of the shows are about the real meaning, the reason for this season…Jesus.

I remember growing up, the real Christmas story used to air. There were other shows on TV centered on Jesus too like “The Little Drummer Boy.” I don’t remember the last time I saw that one air. What changed? What has made everyone get so far away from the real meaning?

Every Christmas before one gift is touched, my family sits down with the Bible and we read the story of the birth of Jesus (Luke 1:26-38, 2: 1-20, Matthew 1:18-25).  This has become a great tradition in my family and I am looking forward to starting this with my own children. It reminds us all that gifts are not the real meaning. We all love Santa, Christmas trees and everything childlike that this time of year is known for, but the real meaning should be celebrated and glorified, the birth of our Savior.  Happy Birthday Jesus.

“Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.”  Luke 2:14

This is one of my favorite Christmas songs...Merry Christmas!

 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Daily Boutique Deals